Thank you for your interest in serving with Only Hope Prison Ministries. Most volunteer opportunities are available within the eight correctional facilities managed by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department (LASD). Please see our Ministries page for specific volunteer information.
All volunteers must complete the following process in order to gain access to the Los Angeles County jail facilities:
- Prospective volunteers will attend a supervised, one-day visitation event at one of the Los Angeles County Jail facilities. This hands-on experience allows prospective volunteers to accurately evaluate service opportunities and gain insight for prayer regarding prison ministry. Prior to the visitation, all volunteers must pass a simple background check (performed by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department). Background check processing can take up to two weeks. Once cleared, entrance will be scheduled through an approved chaplain.
- Volunteers moving to the next step are required to be sponsored by a chaplain from an LASD jail facility (eight county jails) of their choice. A chaplain will help facilitate this process.
- Volunteers will then attend an orientation with the LASD at the Sherman Block building in Monterey Park , followed by an orientation with a Senior Chaplain. Successful completion of the orientations will place the prospective volunteer on the “approved volunteer list” for entrance into the Los Angeles County Jail Facilities.
- Volunteers will serve under, and be escorted by, a chaplain as mandated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
If you’re interested in volunteering, please submit the following information to: Only Hope Prison Ministries, PO Box 177, Simi Valley, CA 93062
- Name of your church home, and how long you have attended
- Two (2) reference letters from leaders (pastor, elder, other leader) at your church
- Doctrinal statement of what your church teaches
- Written or typed testimony of how you came to know Jesus Christ
- Color photocopy of your drivers license
If you need additional information, please use the Contact at the top of this page. If you aren’t sure whether you should volunteer with Only Hope Prison Ministry, click here to read, “Why Prison Ministry?” by Frank Mastrolonardo.